I talked to my grandmother yesterday (5/29) and found out the stray cat that comes to their house had babies on her deck - on the love seat. Needless to say, my grandmother was not too thrilled. She has been feeding the stray, but really doesn't want extra cats around. I went up to see them and immediately was hooked. I talked to Steve and we decided we would bring them home. I called the vet to see what we needed to do. I was told we should just let nature take it's course and leave them alone. I couldn't accept that. I explained that my grandparents really did not need three more strays to feed. Then they will just grow up and produce more babies and keep the cycle going. I told her we had plans to try to make them into house cats. She suggested we catch the mother and put her and the babies in a dog crate. So, that is exactly what we did. It took a little coaxing to get the mother, but we finally got her - and with very little struggle on her part. They are all now safe and comfortable in a secluded part of our basement. Mom seems to be adjusting well. I have checked on them several times and she is feeding them each time. She is a good mom. I believe this will be a good thing for all of them. Once the babies are old enough to be away from the mom, we will take her to be fixed and then take her back to my grandparents' (she won't do well in town). All of the babies will also be fixed to keep them from adding to the population. But, all of them will be greatly loved!

No comments:
Post a Comment