Thursday, February 25, 2010

Health Care "Debates"

So, I have a snow day today.  I am sitting here watching the health care "debates".  I have debates in quotes, because it's really no debate at all.  No, instead, it's the democrats being allowed to say whatever they like while the President interrupts EVERY SINGLE republican who tries to speak.  I have been trying to watch with an open mind, hoping that something will get done.  Listening to all of these people, nothing is ever going to get done.

The democrats (not all of them) go on and on and on and end up saying little to nothing.  The republicans seem to have something to say (again, not all of them).  They are pulling facts from the health care bill, trying to give possible solutions and are then interrupted.  By the President!!!  I'm wondering if the President has ever watched Dr. Phil?  Each time he interrupts a republican, he says, "That's an interesting point, BUT..."  As Dr. Phil says, anything before the "but" has now been negated - you don't mean what you said before the "but".

I agree something needs to be done about health insurance.  It's needed to be done for a long time now.  However, is slamming the health insurance companies really the way to go?  I don't think so.  Want to know why?  Well, guess what?  You're reading my blog, I'm going to tell you why.

I had major surgery in December.  I was admitted at 11:30 AM on December 21st.  My surgery took place at 3:30 PM.  I stayed one night and went home around 3:00 PM on the next day.  Less than 24 hours after surgery.  We have started receiving the bills from that hospital stay.  Wanna know what the hospital, doctors and anesthesiologist has charged so far?  OVER $24,000!!!  Our insurance company is not allowing them to bill that much and has cut the bill by almost $15,000.  That is just crazy!!  I am very thankful for the insurance we have at this moment.  Not to mention the fact they keep Steve employed - for now.

As Steve says, maybe we need to look at the hospitals, doctors and maybe even the malpractice attorneys.  Why not lower costs so EVERYONE can afford it?  Why does it have to cost a couple hundred dollars for a doctor's visit?  Make it $15 and then everyone can have care.  Yes, it may still be hard for some families to afford that, but it would be a whole hell of alot more manageable for them to pay.  And, if everyone can afford it, guess what?  There would be no more need for insurance companies!! 

One of the democrats suggested we have a system in place like Orbitz or Travelocity.  He suggests we have something in place so we can "shop around for a better rate when we need an appendectomy".  Seriously???  I'm thinking if my appendix burst, the last thing I want to be doing is "shopping around on-line for a better price"!  Wake up, people!!!  This is NOT the answer. 

By the way, Mr. President, I think you're awesome, BUT...................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree totall that yes we need some major changes to health care... but hospitals charge an arm and a leg because of certain medications they have to administer, and to produce those medications is not cheap, also testing and scans and other procedures are off the charts.... now in the same sense... I think that most dr's over test and over prescribe medications that really a patient doesn't need.... but they have to cover all basis for these "sue the world" happy people who find everything under the sun to gain money without actually working for it...